Identicons are distinct pixel-style icons generated based on the public keys of Stellar wallets using a simple API-based tool.
These easy to remember icons are like an avatar for your wallet. They can be used in the interface of products built on the Stellar network to enhance user experience and allow identifying addresses at a glance. By now, identicons are already integrated in such projects as Stellarterm and Stellar.Expert
Identiсons are already available in LOBSTR on all platforms and are assigned to each LOBSTR user.
When making a payment in LOBSTR wallet, you can also use the identicon of the Recipient's account to verify that you are sending to the correct wallet and avoid the loss of funds.
As every project can use the same tool or code, one Stellar address will have the same identicon across different projects.
Identicons are useful in crypto products since:
- they allow you to quickly distinguish between different addresses
- help verify that you are sending funds to the correct account
- help visualize the history of transactions or multisig configuration
- you are getting a cool personal icon for your wallet
Some of the restrictions are:
- Identicons are not strictly unique as the number of Stellar accounts is far greater than a number of possible identicon variations. However, the chance of two accounts having the same icon is negligible due to the substantially large number of possible schemes and color combinations.
- Can’t be effectively used by exchanges using a common public key and memo routing to serve multiple users.
Identiсons are already available on the web and mobile platforms and are assigned to Stellar accounts of each LOBSTR and LOBSTR Vault user.